Garmin has provided Service Advisory 2051 for general recommendations, materials, and supplies to clean and disinfect Garmin products. Otherwise, not following the recommendations could void the warranty.
- Cleaners containing ammonia will harm the anti-reflective coating on many Garmin aviation display lenses.
- Disinfectant with a solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol that does not contain ammonia is preferred. Solutions of up to 91% isopropyl alcohol are also acceptable.
- Clean the display lens using a clean lint-free cloth and a cleaner that is specified as safe for anti-reflective coatings.
- For other exposed surfaces such as knobs, buttons, and bezels, a damp cloth with soap and water is acceptable.
- Bleach-based cleaners, ammonia-based cleaners, or other harsh chemicals on any surface are not recommended.
- Remove all soap/soap residue to prevent buttons and knobs from gumming up or becoming slippery.
- Many aviation products are not rated as waterproof. Spraying or wetting the units to the extent where moisture could go beyond the exterior surfaces could damage the unit.